Sometimes when you are working on mobile devices, every frame counts. We’ll have to keep an eye on the profile all the time or otherwise our game won’t run as fast as we like.
One of the things that we’ve learned when building games for mobile devices in Unity is to never leave the profile for the last stages. In every stage of your development you’ll have to find time to profile you app, and if you are working with assets from the Unity asset store this is a MUST.
Here’s some tips for really improve the performance to your 3D game when you are working with 3rd party assets:
- Locate the Model of yout asset in your working directory and click on the .fbx file.
- The Import Settings for a Model file appear in the Model tab of the Inspector window when you select the Model (as shown in Picture 1)
- Unity uses these settings to import each Asset, so if you can adjust any settings.
- Set the Mesh Compresion option to High.
- Uncheck the Read/Write Enabled.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for every asset in your game.
By doing this simple setup on your assets you’ll really improve the performance of your game.
Remember to use this trick every time you can, and don’t forget to keep profiling your game before and after do this.
Try and see the difference for yourself (probably your players we’ll thank you for it).
Thanks for reading, and keep an eye for future tips 🙂
PS: more information on import setting here.